Thursday, December 30, 2010

Sniff Test for Dementia


As hard as it is to tell if you or someone you care about is developing or at risk for developing dementia or Alzheimer's, I always worry if my own absent-minded professor habits like forgetting my train of thought means that I am at risk for eventually developing such a disabling disease. After all, my grandfather and both my grandmothers died from Alzheimer's and my mother is currently battling early onset dementia at the age of 65. Interestingly, there is a simple test that I used on my own mom to test her a year ago when she became worried that she wasn't feeling quite normal.

A sniff test.

It turns out that the beta-amyloid plaques that Will eventually end up destroying brain cells throughout the brain seem to attack the brain areas involved in smell first. So the inability to identify common kitchen smells like coffee, cinnamon, lemon, and menthol (like from chest rub...) may indicate that dementia is likely in the future. This was from a study presented at the annual meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology. My mom didn't do spectacularly well on that test and our neuropsychologist a few months later confirmed with MRI scans what we already suspected. She had Alzheimer's - most likely a particular type called Alzheimer's with Lewy Bodies which has some similarities with Parkinson's disease in that it affects gait, posture and body control. A great paper from Johns Hopkins details more interesting insight on Alzheimer's detection!

No comments: